Sunday, May 25, 2008

I'm only happy when it's complicated.

Human nature can be a very silly thing. There's a man who lives 'round the corner that I typically ridicule for the passion and fervor with which he greets every. Single. Passerby. I tend to roll my eyes, give a response that borders on curt, and continue on my way. (Convinced, of course, that he is merely crazy and that is that.) Tonight, en route to grab some dinner, I could hear his cheerful inquiries to the state of so-and-so's Ma from a block away. I braced myself. Here comes Crazy. After greeting several others in his typical manner, our paths crossed. I received a nod and a cool "Hello."

And I found myself sad. I had already prepared to let him know that yes, I am well and certainly enjoying the abundant sunshine. Had I done something to turn him off? It's ludicrous that I let this to hurt my feelings today, while any other day I stand ready to mock his eccentricities.

On a more pleasant note, my Saturday night was far too ridiculous to even attempt to explain. You get pictures, instead.


No comments: