Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I feel very strongly about mementos. Memorabilia, I guess you call it.

Ah, yes. Tony nomination day. It's like every theatre enthusiast's Thanksgiving. That is to say, the day before all the fun begins, counting down one month to the Best Day of the Year. There are a looooot of shows I still haven't seen (oh, how I MISS working for Broadway.com when it comes to my lack of free tickets). Crissie and I are going to start rushing for a few shows over the coming weeks. If anyone cares to join, please let me know!


Best Play:
August: Osage County
Rock 'n' Roll
The Seafarer
The 39 Steps

Absolutely no surprises here. My prediction? August: Osage County is going to take it.

Best Musical:
Cry-Baby
In the Heights
Passing Strange
Xanadu

I seriously almost cried when I read this. Halfway out of happiness, for Xanadu and Passing Strange and halfway out of shame and misery for...those other two. Seriously? Cry-Baby is one of the biggest trainwrecks I've seen. But I'll touch on that later as we hit the various categories. Where's Young Frankenstein? Ok, so it's no The Producers or Spamalot, but in comparison to Cry-Baby and In the Heights? Come ON. I'm not surprised in the least that A Catered Affair failed to make the cut. And poor, poor Disney/Little Mermaid. It was bad enough last year when they got all the nominations (save one for Ashley (shudder) Brown) and none of the awards - but to not even get a nod? Ouch. Denied the chance of bonus publicity! Er, I mean, to perform live on millions of TV sets. (Do millions of people even watch the Tonys? I guess I'm out of touch with the non-theatrical world.) Couldn't have been a happy day at the happiest place on earth/under the sea. Yuk yuk yuk. Word on the street is that Xanadu has a prayer. Should that happen, I'll be surprised, but not unhappy. My money is still on Passing Strange. Mostly because I LOVE it, but also because I think it's the only show on the list with originality AND artistic merit.

Best Book of a Musical
Cry-Baby, Mark O'Donnell and Thomas Meehan
In the Heights, Quiara Alegria Hudes
Passing Strange, Stew
Xanadu, Douglas Carter Beane

I DO think Xanadu has a shot at taking this one. And I'm not at ALL surprised that Young Frankenstein didn't make the cut here. It's certainly not a good script. But, I do think it's a good show, thanks mostly to its cast.

Best Original Score
Cry-Baby, Music & Lyrics: David Javerbaum & Adam Schlesinger
In The Heights, Music & Lyrics: Lin-Manuel Miranda
The Little Mermaid, Music: Alan Menken and Lyrics: Howard Ashman and Glenn Slater
Passing Strange, Music: Stew and Heidi Rodewald Lyrics: Stew

Ok. If I can't walk out of your theatre singing the songs I just heard at the top of my lungs, we have a problem. Seriously. The curtain fell on Cry-Baby and I couldn't remember a note. I know In the Heights has become Broadway's little darling, and I know I haven't caught the Broadway transfer and can only base my opinions on the off-Broadway production. I think the score is decent. I think it's going to be between this show and Little Mermaid. I mean, it's going to be a little hard to beat the Menken monster.

Best Revival of a Play
Boeing-Boeing
The Homecoming
Les Liaisons Dangereueses
Macbeth

Whaaaaat? No Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?!?!?!? Ok. I'm a Williams snob. This wounds me to a core. And, since I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of these, I can't really make a good judgement. (I'm dying...DYING...to catch Boeing-Boeing though. Will it be the stuffs Tonys are made of? I don't knooooow!)

Best Revival of a Musical
Grease
Gypsy
Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific
Sunday in the Park With George

Grease got a nod?! Wow. Poor Sunday in the Park With George. Any other year, this might have half a shot. I mean, is it a shocker to ANYONE that it's going to come down to South Pacific vs. Gypsy? My vote's with South Pacific. But I don't know that I'd place any money or importance on this bet.

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Play
Ben Daniels, Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood
Mark Rylance, Boeing-Boeing
Rufus Sewell, Rock 'n' Roll
Patrick Stewart, Macbeth

Since I ain't seen 'em, I can't judge them. But, if I must make an educated guess, I'll go with Stewart or Sewell. (Also, whaaaaat?!??! No Nathan Lane?!?! No Norbert Leo Butz?!?! Aren't they, like, Broadway royalty?)

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Play
Eve Best, The Homecoming
Deanna Dunagan, August: Osage County
Kate Fleetwood, Macbeth
S. Epatha Merkerson, Come Back, Little Sheba
Amy Morton, August: Osage County

Ooooooh, I cannot WAIT to see August: Osage County. From what I've seen, I really think Deanna Dunagan is going to take it. I'm THRILLED to see Eve Best and S. Epatha Merkerson got nods.

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Musical
Daniel Evans, Sunday in the Park With George
Lin-Manuel Miranda, In the Heights
Stew, Passing Strange
Paulo Szot, Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific
Tom Wopat, A Catered Affair

Hoooooray for Wopat! I think Paulo Szot has got it, though. Although, after last year's Raul Esparza upset, I'm completely terrified to predict in this territory. Could Lin-Manuel Miranda take it for the underdogs, again?

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Musical
Kerry Butler, Xanadu
Patti LuPone, Gypsy
Kelli O'Hara, Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific
Faith Prince, A Catered Affair
Jenna Russell, Sunday in the Park With George

I'm thrilled Kerry Butler got a nod. That being said, comparing her to Patti and Kelli is like hoping Laura Bell Bundy had a shot again Christine Ebersole last year. I've heard a LOT of people murmuring Faith Prince's name. I don't know. My money's still on Patti.

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Play
Bobby Cannavale, Mauritius
Raúl Esparza, The Homecoming
Conleth Hill, The Seafarer
Jim Norton, The Seafarer
David Pittu, Is He Dead?

Since Raul missed out last year, can we give it to him this year? Please? Please??

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Play
Sinead Cusack, Rock 'n' Roll
Mary McCormack, Boeing-Boeing
Laurie Metcalf, November
Martha Plimpton, Top Girls
Rondi Reed, August: Osage County

Since Martha missed out last year, can we give it to her this year? Please? Please??

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Musical
Daniel Breaker, Passing Strange
Danny Burstein, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific
Robin De Jesús, In The Heights
Christopher Fitzgerald, The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein
Boyd Gaines, Gypsy

Wow. Robin de Jesus is in the same category as Boyd Gaynes? Now I've seen everything. How does that even HAPPEN?! Christopher Fitzgerald had better get this. It's one of the few places I really do think YF actually DESERVES a nomination and I wasn't just EXPECTING it to get one.

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Musical
de'Adre Aziza, Passing Strange
Laura Benanti, Gypsy
Andrea Martin, The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein
Olga Merediz, In The Heights
Loretta Ables Sayre, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

If any category is going to give me a heart attack while choosing, it's this one. I mean, I think I've already displayed a good amount of love and affection for any and everyone in and around Passing Strange. (ALTHOUGH - I did enjoy Eisa Davis and Rebecca Naomi Jones' performances more than Aziza's.) But Andrea Martin? Oh my Sweet Lord. And Laura and Olga and Loretta? Equally as likely. I don't know. Going out on a limb, I'm going to go with Andrea Martin. Maybe Loretta Ables Sayre?! Laura Benanti?! I don't knoooooow!!!!

Best Direction of a Play
Maria Aitken, The 39 Steps
Conor McPherson, The Seafarer
Anna D. Shapiro, August: Osage County
Matthew Warchus, Boeing-Boeing

Judging from the reviews, I think Matthew Warchus has a shot. I mean, Boeing-Boeing is NOT the strongest script, and I understand this has turned into a remarkable production. (Have I mentioned I cannot WAIT to see it?!) Again, haven't not seen any, I'm not really in a place to judge. Gut reaction: Anna Shapiro.

Best Direction of a Musical
Sam Buntrock, Sunday in the Park with George
Thomas Kail, In The Heights
Arthur Laurents, Gypsy
Bartlett Sher, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

I have a feeling this is going to be another Gypsy vs. South Pacific faceoff. I'm going with Bartlett Sher.

Best Choreography
Rob Ashford, Cry-Baby
Andy Blankenbuehler, In The Heights
Christopher Gattelli, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific
Dan Knechtges, Xanadu

Oh, look! The one category where Cry-Baby actually deserves its nomination. Wouldn't it be amazing if Xanadu won? I don't think it will. I would just like it. I have to give it to Rob Ashford here though. Cry-Baby is nothing without its choreography.

Best Orchestrations
Jason Carr, Sunday in the Park with George
Alex Lacamoire & Bill Sherman, In the Heights
Stew & Heidi Rodewald, Passing Strange
Jonathan Tunick, A Catered Affair

Sunday in the Park With George. The end.

Best Scenic Design of a Play
Peter McKintosh, The 39 Steps
Scott Pask, Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Todd Rosenthal, August: Osage County
Anthony Ward, Macbeth

Can I see them and get back to you? K thanks.

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
David Farley and Timothy Bird & The Knifedge Creative Network, Sunday in the Park with George
Anna Louizos, In the Heights
Robin Wagner, The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein
Michael Yeargan, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

Um. Young Frankenstein. I'm still quietly saying "wow" to myself.

Best Costume Design of a Play
Gregory Gale, Cyrano de Bergerac
Rob Howell, Boeing-Boeing
Katrina Lindsay, Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Peter McKintosh, The 39 Steps

I dunno. Jennifer Garner did have some pretty amazing cleavage. I tend to be less impressed by the period pieces and more impressed by the modern takes. I think The 39 Steps has the most original design. So. I'll pick it.

Best Costume Design of a Musical
David Farley, Sunday in the Park with George
Martin Pakledinaz, Gypsy
Paul Tazewell, In the Heights
Catherine Zuber, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

So Jennifer Garner's cleavage helped Cyrano...apparently Sutton Foster could not do the same for Young Frankenstein. I think South Pacific has the most dynamic costume scheme. There's my vote.

Best Lighting Design of a Play
Kevin Adams, The 39 Steps
Howard Harrison, Macbeth
Donald Holder, Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Ann G. Wrightson, August: Osage County

I'm suddenly feeling repetitively redundant. I don't know. And deep down, I know I care.

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Ken Billington, Sunday in the Park with George
Howell Binkley, In the Heights
Donald Holder, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific
Natasha Katz, The Little Mermaid

I CANNOT BELIEVE PASSING STRANGE WAS NOT NOMINATED IN THIS CATEGORY. THEIR LIGHTING DESIGN IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE ASPECTS OF THE PIECE. (I guess this is my trade off for the show getting a Best Musical nod. Fine. So be it.) Could Little Mermaid have a shot here? Methinks, yes. Although, I'm pulling for Sunday in the Park with George to win this one.

Best Sound Design of a Play
Simon Baker, Boeing-Boeing
Adam Cork, Macbeth
Ian Dickson, Rock 'n' Roll
Mic Pool, The 39 Steps

I think it would be hilarious if Rock 'n' Roll DIDN'T win this...

Best Sound Design of a Musical
Acme Sound Partners, In the Heights
Sebastian Frost, Sunday in the Park with George
Scott Lehrer, Rodgers & Hammerstein's South Pacific
Dan Moses Schreier, Gypsy

Again. No Passing Strange?!?!?! Sigh. Fine. Then Sunday in the Park With George. But only cause I'm pouting.

Overall thoughts: I love Passing Strange. I hate Cry-Baby. I'm proud of Xanadu. I'm in shock over the complete lack of noms for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - I mean, James Earl Jones was BORN to play roles like Big Daddy. I'm surprised, though not unhappy, about Young Frankenstein's lack of nods. (I'm sure Megan Mullaly and Roger Bart did NOT have a good day.) I expected more nominations for the actors in 39 Steps. I'm a little surprised that Cry-Baby DIDN'T get a nomination for best scenic design. I'm not at all surprised that Susan Stroman/Young Frankenstein didn't get the choreography or best direction nods. It proves the point I made with Jerry Mitchell and Legally Blonde last year - YOU ARE HUMAN. PICK ONE AND STICK TO IT. And I'm sad that Mary Testa didn't land a nomination. I love her. A lot. And just one nod to Is He Dead? Nothing for Farnsworth Invention? Sad day.


This year made me miss stand outs like Grey Gardens and Spring Awakening. It was certainly a year for drama and NOT musicals. At least we have the 2008-2009 season to look forward to. I mean 9 to 5 AND Shrek the Musicals?!?!?! Yesssssss....


No comments: