Monday, April 7, 2008

So come pick me up. I've landed.



A peak into the audition process. Headshot and sheet music at the ready. Waiting. Napping. Hoping. Etc.

Today was a good day. I didn't audition well. I didn't get a callback. But I think I finally did get a good, clear look at myself as a performer. And looking around the room at all the polished, well-rehearsed, attractive, limber people, I suddenly realized I'm not that girl. Thing is, this realization doesn't upset me in the least.

This is not me dashing my dreams and kissing my hopes goodbye. It's just that I've finally looked around, taken a personal inventory, and decided that this life, while full of remarkable things, isn't actually mine. I've tried it on now. It doesn't fit.


I know this post coincides nicely with yet another rejection and that there will be people who will read this and think I'm giving up because I have thin skin. I'm not giving up. I'm shifting focus. I've just come to realize that what I wanted to make me happy and what actually does make me happy are not the same things. There are things I've tucked in the background that need to come up front. Likewise, there are things I've been placing tremendous importance on that will need to take a back seat.

Seriously. Today was a good day.