Thursday, January 10, 2008

You're all I need to get by.

(Brace yourself. I'm about to compare my life to a bagel. You were warned.)

Last night was an emotional one. I woke up today not entirely sad, just mostly a little hhhhhmph. I decided a Power Breakfast was in order, so I brewed a pot of coffee and popped a bagel in the oven. I guess I lost track of the time, for when I returned to the kitchen, my bagel looked like this:



No bother. Knife in hand, I began to scrape scrape scrape. And as I stood huddled over my trash can, I realized my life is not entirely unlike this bagel. Blemished, far from perfect, but worth saving. Soon enough, my bagel looked like this:


No longer quite the disaster it once was. (Although, still bearing the tell-tale markings that it had indeed been burned.)

And now, everything is fine. And my Power Breakfast was still lovely, despite my minor setback. See?


I'm learning that just because someone was a Major Player in my past, it doesn't mean they have to be (or will) in my future. And it's ok to just let some things go. And if you're not sad or second guessing yourself, then it might be the right decision. At least for now. I'm a burnt bagel. But slap on some cream cheese and pair me with coffee and I'll be just fine.

No comments: