Sunday, November 7, 2010

New York, quit callin'. New York, leave me be.

I’m leaving New York.
Not (necessarily) anytime soon.  No immediate plans have been made.  Plenty of notice will be given and tears shed when it’s time.  But it’s inevitable.  One day, I’m leaving New York.
Recent life events do make me think it might be sooner rather than later though, so I think it’s high time to make a NYC Bucket List.  Because there is a LOT I have done in my time here, but a few very important things I have not.
In no particular order…
1)   Camp out, secure tickets, and get into a taping for SNL.  (Or at least the dress rehearsal.)  This was attempted once, about a year and a half ago.  It was the season finale, with Justin Timberlake.  It poured rain all night and I absolutely cannot remember ever being so miserable.  To top it all off, only the first person in line got in that night.  I’ll camp out again in a heartbeat but NEVER if rain is predicted.
2)   Go to Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty.  Correct.  I tell tourists how to make this happen every single day and yet, I’ve never been.  What?  I’m a local.  Locals know to ride the (free) Staten Island Ferry instead.
3)   Attend a show in every single Broadway house.  I just checked.  I’m only missing two.  Which means I’m going to be seeing Addams Family (Lunt-Fontanne) and A Free Man of Color (Vivian Beaumont) sometime in the future.
4)   Go to the Opera.  Because I am very classy and sophisticated. 
5)   Go to a Yankees, a Knicks, and a Rangers game.  Because I’ve already got the Giants and the Mets under my belt, and since the Giants and Jets share a stadium, I only have to go to one.  (Roll Tide.  Sorry.  That really is the only team that’s important to me.)
6)   Take a trip to the Adirondacks.  They’re close(ish).  I should get on that.  I like nature. 
7)   Buy something at Tiffany.  Even if it’s “only” a keychain. 
8)   Frequent at least a few more top notch restaurants and order off the Chef’s Tasting Menus.  Partially because Le Bernadin proved it’s OH SO WORTH IT and also because the more $200 meals I partake in now, the more I’ll squeal with delight over prices when I’m safely back down in the dirty. 
9)   Spend a night at The Plaza.  Attend high tea at the Palm Court AND order room service for breakfast.  (And look for Eloise. I love her.)
10)  Take at least one more acting class.  Or at the very least, a workshop or intensive.  Remember acting and how it was why I moved here and then found a hundred other reasons to stay, instead? 
New Yorkers and New York lovers…is there anything I missed?
It’s kind of fun and terribly exciting to think that this time next year, I could very well be living somewhere entirely different…


 

3 comments:

Catherine said...

About #9... We won't be spending the night at the Plaza this trip... but we can totally bask in the joys of Eloise in her store and have Tea in the Palm Court. It's on my itinerary you must join!

kimz said...

Eh, I wouldn't worry so much about going to see a Yankees game. They're a bunch of punks. What would be even better would be to see a game up in Fenway Park. Most famous baseball park there is. Yankee stadium? Blech. Yankees? Double blech. Yankees FANS? Blech to the blech power!

ettible said...

I made a list a lot like this at the end of my first year here when my boyfriend was moving back to Ohio and I thought I was, too. But then I stayed and didn't do any of them. The Bronx Zoo was one of them I don't see here on your list, although I assume you've already done that. And here's the one chef's tasting you have to do, in my opinion.